Sunday, October 3, 2010

Work Ghost?

A few years ago when I was an assistant manager for a specialty clothing store, something happened that has still left me wondering to this day...

It was a bright sunny California day and myself and 1 other employee was working at that time.Being that it was a weekday, we hardly had any shoppers that morning. We were expecting shipment that day so when the delivery buzzed, I went to open the heavy metal door that leads to our back stockroom , the door's heaviness makes it close with a heavy latch. Walking a few more feet to another door , I then punched a code to open another heavy metal door that lead to the loading area.

I greeted the delivery person and we were expecting at least 20 boxes that day that I am to check in. He made me sign something electronically with a black keypad and said he will head to the trailer to unload the boxes. The trailer had an elevator which allows him to unload and load box without having to use a ladder to climb and go down. I watched him as the elevator lifted him up to the trailer.

I went inside the bathroom to wash my hands and made sure the door stopper was holding the bathroom door open so that I can see the stockroom behind me. As I was washing my hands, in the mirror reflection I can see the open door that leads to the docking area at the right side of the mirror and the shelves to the left of the mirror. I glanced away to look at reflection when a movement caught my eye at the left side of the mirror - which meant there was movement behind me.

I glanced to the left in time to see a tall, slender, light-skinned African American man wearing a red and gray windbreaker-type jacket and light-colored denim jeans walk behind me from my left to right and disappear from my view as my reflection blocked him. He was probably less than 5 feet behind me.

More puzzled than surprised, I quickly turned around ready to ask the gentleman to go back to the sales floor because this area is for employees only. There was no one in the stockroom but me. A few moments later, I quickly headed outside the docking area expecting to see the gentleman there but the docking area was deserted and I can see the delivery man still up in the trailer loading the boxes. Still puzzled as to where the gentleman could be, I went back inside the stockroom and opened the door that lead to the sales floor, peeked my head out and hollered out to the lone employee busy straightening the merchandise.

" Are there any customers in the store at all?"

"No, it's been very slow."

"What about within the last 2 minutes or so? Did anyone go inside the stockroom?", I asked.

"No."

Who was the gentleman I saw? If he entered the stockroom from the sales floor, that heavy metal door would've made such a loud noise but I never heard the door open.

He was known as George since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment